Now Optimized for Mobile
We have redesigned the IEEE-UFFC website to be optimized for mobile devices. Try it out!
2014 Nobel Prize Winners and the IEEE
The IEEE-UFFC Society is proud to announce that all of the 2014 Nobel Prize Winners in Chemistry and Physics are either members of the IEEE or have been featured in articles published in the IEEE Spectrum.
The 2014 Nobel Prize in Chemistry was awarded to IEEE Senior Member William E.Moerner, Eric Betzig and Stefan W. Hell for super-resolved fluorescence microscopy. One of Moerner’s first professional meetings was the 1974 IEEE Ultrasonics Symposium in Milwaukee, at which Moerner, who at that time was a student in UFFC AdCom member Jim Miller’s Laboratory for Ultrasonics at Washington University in St. Louis, gave an oral presentation and was a co-author on a two additional contributed talks. Betzig and Hell were featured in an article published in the IEEE Spectrum.
The 2014 Nobel Prize in Physics was awarded to Isamu Akasaki, Hiroshi Amano and Shuji Nakamura for the development of the blue LED. All three are members of the IEEE. Akasaki was awarded the IEEE Edison Medal in 2011. Nakamura was featured in an IEEE Spectrum article.
Congratulations to all of the 2014 Nobel Prize Winners!!!
Oral History of Dr. Eiichi Fukada
An Oral History of Dr. Eiichi Fukada has been added to our History page. Dr. Fukada was the co-discoverer of piezoelectricity in bone in 1957. He is still an active researcher at the age of 93.
Women in Engineering (WIE) Page
A new Women in Engineering (WIE) page has been added to the UFFC website.
Walter Guyton Cady Memorial Page
A page dedicated to the memory of Professor Cady has been added to the UFFC website
- Congratulations to Dr. John Vig, the 2009 IEEE President and current UFFC-S Vice President for Publications, who has been inducted to the IEEE Technical Activities Board (TAB) Hall of Honor "For improving operations and processes of the IEEE Technical Activities Board. (Posted January 5, 2014)"
- The UFFC-S is now using IEEE Single-Sign-On (SSO) on the UFFC-S Website (this website) for IEEE UFFC-S members to access restricted materials. This means that the IEEE Web Account usernames and passwords of UFFC-S members can be used to access these materials, reducing the number of login information to remember. (Posted January 5, 2014)
- Congratulations to Dr. Jan Brown who has received the WIE Inspiring Member of the Year Award for her years of efforts in promoting Women in the field of Engineering and other contributions in WIE. (posted 2 July 2014)
- An Administrative Assistant has been appointed to provide various services for the UFFC-S. She is Jennifer Roland. Her responsibilities will include Membership and Administrative duties such as liaison with the IEEE, correspondence and maintenance of records of members, assistance with various UFFC officers and activities, etc. She will also provide Conference and Meeting Planning Services. (posted October 3, 2013)
- Access the IEEE Memberships and Subscriptions Catalog: https://www.ieee.org/membership-catalog/index.html (posted June 20, 2012).
- Check our Calendar page to view Symposia and Committee Meeting deadlines (posted May 23, 2012)
- The UFFC logo has received a Trademark Registration. The symbol ® should be placed adjacent to the logo whenever it is used. (Posted March 5, 2012)
News & Related Events
- View the suggestions for submitting papers to the IEEE Transactions on UFFC (posted May 23, 2012)
- A Twitter page has been opened: @IEEE_UFFC_Soc. Announcements of deadlines for meetings, symposia, abstract submissions, etc. will be posted there. Sign up by clicking on the Twitter icon (posted May 23, 2012)
- Susan Trolier-McKinstry (Pennsylvania State University, USA)
January 1, 2015 through June 30, 2016.
"Piezoelectric Films for Microelectromechanical Systems"
- Patrizia Tavella (Istituto Nazionale Ricerca Metrologica INRIM, Italy)
July 1, 2015 through December 31, 2016.
"Precise Time Scales and Navigation Systems, the Ultimate Challenge to Time Metrology"
- Roman Maev (University of Windsor, Canada)
July 1, 2014 through December 31, 2015.
"Innovation Drives Quality: New Generation of High Resolution Ultrasonic Imaging Technology for Material Characterization and NDT in Advanced Automotive Manufacturing"
The Distinguished Lecturer Program is an important feature of UFFC. Distinguished Lecturers are chosen at each Fall AdCom meeting
Thank You and Welcome
We thank the following people for their services and contributions to the UFFC-S:
Elected AdCom Members (term from 2012-2014):
Dr. Sylvain Ballandras
Dr. Andrew Ludlow
Dr. Mickael Tanter
Dr. Zuo-Guang Ye
Chair of IEEE UFFC-S Fellows Committee:
Dr. Tom Parker
Chair of IEEE UFFC-S Chapters Committee:
Dr. Estelle Camus
Senior AdCom Student Representatives:
Joel B. Harley (Ultrasonics)
Reagan Belan (Ferroelectrics)
Andreja Erbes (Frequency Control)
General Chair of the 2013 IEEE UFFC-S Joint Conference:
Dr. Ahmad Safari
IEEE UFFC-S Representative (alternate) to the IEEE Sensors Council:
Dr. Reichl B. Haskell
We welcome the following people and wish them success:
Elected AdCom Members (term from 2015-2017):
Dr. Yook-Kong Yong (Ultrasonics)
Dr. Geoff Brennecka (Ferroelectrics)
Dr. Elizabeth Donley (Frequency Control)
Dr. Jeremy K. A. Everard (Region 8-10)
Chair of IEEE UFFC-S Fellows Committee:
Dr. Susan Trolier-McKinstry
Editor-in-Chief-Elect of IEEE TUFFC:
Peter A. Lewin
Chair of IEEE UFFC-S Chapters Committee:
Dr. Qifa Zhou
Dr. Joel B. Harley
2015 UFFC-S AdCom Junior Student Representatives:
General Chairs of 2016 IEEE UFFC-S Conferences:
Dr. Ayache Bouakaz, 2016 IEEE IUS
Dr. Jürgen Röedel, 2016 IEEE ISAF
Dr. Lute Maleki, 2016 IEEE IFCS
Photos and Videos
Photos and videos can be viewed and downloaded from the site https://ewh.ieee.org/soc/uffc/publicity/The photos and videos are organized in the following six categories:
- UFFC-S Administrative Committee (AdCom) Meetings
- President’s Receptions During Conferences
- Women-in-Engineering (WIE) Meetings During Conferences
- Standing Committees (SC) Meetings of Three Technical Areas
- Technical Program Committee (TPC) Meetings of Annual Conferences
- Three UFFC-S Annual Conferences (IUS, ISAF, and IFCS)
A Greeting from the IEEE UFFC Society President, Dr. Jian-yu Lu
Welcome from the Ultrasonics, Ferroelectrics and Frequency Control Society of the IEEE.
IEEE is the largest technical society in the world. It consists of more than 40 societies and councils with a membership over 400,000. The UFFC Society, with more than 2,000 members, is one of the IEEE societies.
IEEE T-UFFC Announcements
Two Special Issues of the IEEE T-UFFC will be published in 2016; A Special Issue to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the Allan Variance and a Special Issue on Quantitative Ultrasound-Based Tissue Characterization. Full details and Calls for Papers are available.
Average time in 2014 from submission to first decision was 45 days and average time from submission to final decision was 55 days!!!
Was your paper in the IEEE T-UFFC one of the most frequently downloaded publications from IEEE Xplore last month? Check the list!!! It is updated on or about the 15th of every month.
Also see the Selected Articles
Join the LinkedIn Group: IEEE Ultrasonics, Ferroelectrics and Frequency Control Society
Participate in discussions and receive notifications of important events and deadlines
Access the UFFC Society sites on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and Flickr. Please access these sites using the icons at the top right-hand side of this page. We welcome contributions to these sites. Please contact Sidney Lang.
IEEE UFFC Society Newsletter
2015 IEEE International Ultrasonics Symposium
October 21-24, 2015
2015 Joint IEEE International Symposium on the Applications of Ferroelectric (ISAF), International Symposium on Integrated Functionalities (ISIF), and Piezoelectric Force Microscopy Workshop (PFM). (2015 Joint ISAF-ISIF-PFM Conference, or ISAF-ISIF-PFM 2015)
May 24-27, 2015
2015 Joint IEEE International Frequency Control Symposium and European Frequency and Time Forum
Colorado Convention Center
Denver, CO, USA
April 13-15 with tutorials on April 12